Friday, March 16, 2012

I soiled my plants...

Sorry. Couldn't resist that headline.


A long time ago a friend recommended I sprinkle Black Gold potting soil on my flowerbeds. I should have listened to her. My groundcovers have struggled to spread and take hold in the lousy soil I have. Today I sprinkled a ton of gypsum on the beds, and then covered it over with a sprinkling of Black Gold. The gypsum will loose the hard clay soil, and the Black Gold will help hold in some moisture. I expect some rain this weekend to help it all settle in. We'll see how it goes.


Also, I got some seeds planted in the garden. It's time to get the Spring Garden in--spinach, lettuce, peas, radishes, onions, broccoli, cabbage, and carrots (though carrots will do better in the fall). If you plant broccoli and cauliflower, make sure it is an "early" variety--ready for harvest in 45-55 days. Otherwise, it will be hot weather before it is ready and it will be bitter and bolt to seed.


AND...drum roll... my son has decided to enter the world of gardening. His science teacher challenged some students to grow giant vegetables. So he's going to try his hand at some huge tomatoes and huge beets. He's even keeping a logbook like a good gardener. So proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment