Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I like pulling weeds

I think I really like yanking weeds. It's a satisfying sensation when you get a good grip on the base of a plant and the soil has just the right amount of moisture and the roots rip right out. Maybe I like the constructive way to work out my aggression.

But here's what I don't like:

These are shamrocks, also known as oxalis.


And this is what they look like when they are embedded among the plants you want to keep.
So I just spent the sunny afternoon digging up this entire plant and several others. I performed surgery by carefully separately the shamrock roots from the ice plant roots. Then I replanted the ice plant.

This is why the shamrocks are so vicious:

They reproduce by underground roots. They spread like crazy. This one was pretty small compared to some of the intricate shamrock mafia systems that I unthreaded from the plant. But I didn't want to touch my camera with my dirty hands again.

My grandmother was very proud of our Irish roots. I do NOT like these roots.

My neighbor is making sure I will be fighting this and many other weeds for decades. I've found that a cocktail of Roundup and Weed-B-Gone are very effective against morning glory. I'm starting to get control of that one. But the shamrocks are tough because the seedlings are so teeny and hard to catch. Before you know it, you have a full blown infestation.

At least I like pulling weeds on a sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment