Friday, July 6, 2012

Fall Garden is coming.

I'm sorry, I'm a little behind in keeping this schedule updated. You should spray your birch and stone fruit trees RIGHT NOW (July 1) for borers. And keep the spray handy for spraying again on August 1. 

More fun than that: seed some lettuce indoors to transplant in the garden for harvest in the fall. This lettuce will be sweeter and last longer than the spring garden because the temperatures will start to be cooler. At least that is was we *normally* expect, but as we have seen lately, "normal" is a little abnormal.

You may have some spots in your garden getting freed up from crops that are finishing up their peak season. Find some fall crops to stick in there: lettuce, carrots, broccoli (65-80 day varieties), cauliflower, cabbage, radishes, turnips, pole beans. But seriously, those pole beans are a mess. I came in looking like I fought in a war whenever I tried to pick them. I prefer the bush beans.

Give your annual flowers a little sprinkling of fertilizer. In fact, I think I'm going to give the garden a dose, too. 

My youngest is my best gardener so far! She helped me pick all the flowers for the children's garden and the playhouse. She even knows how to gently pull the plant from the package and separate the roots before transplanting. She waters them every day without fail and loves to see new blooms. In fact SHE noticed a spot that didn't get much sun and suggest we plant some impatiens there. I was so proud! 

My raspberries are starting to produce a LOT of berries. I love to pick them fresh and have them on my cereal. Yes, breakfast in the garden is always the best way to start my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment