Monday, July 9, 2012

Fighting Morning Glory, Two by Two



These horrible weeds seem to drink the Roundup. Spraying WeedBGone (2-4-D) just makes them mad. But they have no defense against the two together. Mix yourself some WeedBGone and Roundup in a sprayer. Or if that is too much hassle, spray the WeedBGone first, then lightly spray the Roundup. In about a week, the Morning Glory will be dead as a doornail.


This handful I have in the picture was in my ice plant. I gathered all the vines and laid them on a piece of newspaper while I sprayed.

It was nice to hear the dry vines crinkle in my hand today.


Joy.

Of course, this cocktail will kill everything else, too. So if it's in your grass, you'll need to protect the grass nearby while you spray. Gather up all the vines of the morning glory and surround them with a plastic cup that you have cut the bottom off of. If you cut down the side of the cup you can more tightly "cone" the cup around the weed. Spray, then move on to the next weed.


Here I am working on the shamrocks in my iceplant. Oh. How. I. Hate. Them.



It will take a while. Use multiple cups so you can more easily see where you've already sprayed and you won't miss spots.

It is a lot of work, but it will WORK.


1 comment:

  1. This link has some good specifics on killing shamrock. For now I will apply Preen. Blast those seeds. They shoot out of the pods like fireworks. They were actually making sounds as they hit my sunglasses and were getting stuck in my sweat.

    http://www.ehow.com/how_12069144_kill-shamrock-plants.html

    ReplyDelete