Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tomato Woes

Noticing a lack of tomatoes? I've had ONE Orange Wellington so far. It was SO GOOD. I mixed some ranch dressing mix into some cottage cheese, spread that on a piece of whole grain toast, and topped it with the creamy Orange Wellington. I immediately wanted another, but--no more tomatoes are even NEAR ripe. The cherry tomato I found the next day was not enough for another one of my treats.

What's the deal?

The nights have been too hot. You have to have the right mix of temperature and humidity for the pollen to "stick" right. Here we are already very dry, so we need temperatures at night be below about 70 degrees. Where my folks live, it often doesn't get below 85 at night, but their humidity is higher so it balances out. Well, ya know, most of the time.

But we have a break in the hot weather and the robust tomato plants will soon start catching up on production.

NOTE: I was going to take a picture of my beautiful Orange Wellington to share with you, but I was more interested in eating it. I thought maybe I could take a picture of another the next day. :( Here's hoping the next one is not too far away. At least I've been picking plenty of okra to keep me happy. And GEE WHIZ my yellow squash is very productive. It tastes better than the zucchini so I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment